Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fixie Lovin'

Took the Langster out for 1.5 hours. Wasn't quite that cold like yesterday when the computer read 35 degrees in the last half of the ride, but there was some cold wind floating around.

Riding the fixed gear is a blast. I used to have one and I forgot how cool it is. I only had one oh shit moment when I forgot you can't coast. You see, on a fixed gear a funny thing happens when you go to lock your leg at the bottom of the stroke. The rear wheel comes flying of the ground intent on throwing you over the handlebars. I am unsure of the physics behind this, but rest assured it is sphincter clenching experience.

So here I am reaching for my cell in my jersey pocket to check the time and see how much daylight is left when I forget to keep pedaling. So I am in traffic with one hand on the bars and one in my back jersey pocket. I somehow didn't crash and roll underneath a pick-up truck, but I did have to ride through a few front lawns to save it.


Also, for those like me who hate wearing gloves and wait until its is absolutely necessary to preserve your digits, Burt's Bees Hand Salve is perfect. Slap it on your hands before you ride and it keeps your skin from cracking and bleeding. I love the feeling of coming in from a cold ride and your skin bursts into flames as it tries to heat back up. Seriously. I enjoy it. Also I enjoy Burt's Bee's Lifeguard lip balm - it leaves your lips looking like your near death but the wind won't rip them open.


I've also got a good beard going to keep the face warm. It really makes a difference. I also got a great set of Dinotte lights coming tomorrow so when daylight savings is over this weekend, I can ride after work with a little less fear of death.

No comments: