Sunday, September 27, 2009

What a year

Well, the road season wrapped up with Univest for me. It was an amazing experience, and after the crit I spent time with the promoters, podium girls, and other officials signing autographs for the fans. That was by far one of the coolest things I did all year and I really loved "playing the part" and interacting with people that genuinely loved watching what we do in their town.

It was the cap to an amazing year. This season's ride was the most undulating of all my seasons, and actually, years of life I've had. Those that know me well know have seen me go through some incredibly low times this year, but that was coupled with the highest highs I've had.

On the bike I managed to break through the chains that have been holding me back the previous seasons. Some chains were physical, like the after effects of my surgery. Some were mental, like regaining my confidence on the bike. But I busted my ass last winter and seemingly managed to pull myself through that BS.

I had a great team and together we accomplished some great results. Turkey Hill was a breakthrough for me and that confidence led to a win at Wilmington and a string of fantastic results. It was the most amazing of feelings, accomplishing some of what I knew I was capable of and having people I had always looked up to as racers compliment me and my racing.

I've made some incredible friends this year. Friends from all over the globe. Relationships I hope last a lifetime. My older friendships became strengthened. I got to spend time with great racers and learned how to use their experience to understand what I was doing better. Guys like Elliston, Kincaid, Pat Raines, the whole Mt. Khakis crew and Chad Andrews.

My teammates, Andy and Kyle who are also a couple of my best friends, and the rest the amazing Dynaflo crew were there every step of the way and I owe them a great deal of thanks. Their confidence in me helped me realize my own potential. And my family who have, albeit with great, but understandable, hesitation at times supported me through this whole ride. Oh and Bill Fleming at Dynaflo Pumps who is the greatest sponsor and boss and allows me to put food and the table and puts up with the time off and crazy mishaps.

Also thanks to all the people that cheered, supported, and followed my racing. I appreciate it more than you know.

Off the bike plenty of ridiculousness ensued as it seemed the faster I was on the bike, the less things went right off it. Cars were crashed, engines were blown up, relationships came and went, but I learned to use it as fuel for success on the bike.

So, here's a toast to great friends, great competition, great teammates, great teachers and always going for bigger and better.

To big things next year!

1 comment:

bikepennst8 said...

Its pretty simple - do everything you did again. Starting with riding the cross for the soul. Next step after that - west coast training trip? We got an open invitation to Barlevav's... Januaryish?