Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A little backtracking race reports..

I owe you guys these...but since they are so old now, they will be short.

PA CX State Champs B race - Really cool course, hope it comes back next year only bigger. From the gun Colin Prensky takes off and I take off in pursuit. Couldn't quite close the gap. Zach Adams bridged up to me and then up to Colin leaving me still in pursuit. On the 3rd lap, I catch (they let me catch) Colin and Zach and ride their wheels until the penultimate lap through the barriers. I focused on NOT crashing so much that I stared at the barriers until I rode right into them. It only cost me a couple seconds, but it was enough to shatter me. So I soloed in for 3rd. Zach and Colin were killin' it.

Staten Island CX B Race - AWESOME course. Weather was just what cross should be - absolutely atrocious. Rain, wind, cold, tons of sloppy sloppy mud and a beach run. On the first lap, Colin and I get a good little gap. 2nd lap I crash hardcore because I had two pairs of gloves one and my hands popped off the hoods riding through a culvert. Once catching back on, we just drilled it all the way home. Colin dropped me like bad habit in the last 200 meters. The atmosphere around this race was amazing. They had killer handmade trophies and Belgian waffles (pics to come). And like 50lbs of bacon.

Phillipsburg Riverfront Cross - Props to Bill for putting on a great race. The course was awesome and it was well put together. Its too bad his race was the same day the big MAC race in Reston, VA. Turnout was low, but it still was great. I knew I had to continue my progression from 3rd, to 2nd, and to 1st. So I went as hard as I could right off the line and never looked back. Soloed in for 1st I think about a minute 30 ahead of 2nd place. Finally got to put the arms up in victory salute, even if I did have a retarded looking face. Props to Lou Devlin for coming out and doing well in his first cross race.

The real excitement came from the A race which I jumped right into after my race. I was sweaty from the first race and it was getting colder and windier out. Around the 4th lap, I smelled hot dogs at the top of the run up where all the heckling was taking place. So I yelled "get me a hot dog!" The next lap, my buddy Sam, had a hot dog and PBR waiting to hand me. I grabbed the hot dog, shoved it down my throat, and took the PBR and chugged it as I rode the next half lap or so. Beer and a hot dog had never tasted so good! I was bonking hardcore at that point and I think those are the only things that saved me enough so I could finish. I still have mustard stains on my bar tape and hoods.



2 comments:

bikepennst8 said...

you trendster with your PBR

soon you will change your last name to an Italian Sports Car and be wearing diva sunglasses

Matt Spohn said...

Oh man I want to distribute that photo everywhere.