Friday, April 24, 2009

Like Knight Rider



So I'm crusin' down 476 south on Sunday in my '85 Trans Am. Knight Rider Style baby. Ok, so it is actually my Dad's car that I was borrowing until I find what I am looking for, which is weird for me because this is the first time since the day I turned 14 that I have not owned my own car. First car was this:


Anyway, I am rolling along at about 75 with the windows down and the stereo blaring. I go to accelerate mildly and the car downshifts, but cannot get out of its own way. All the sudden, I can't even maintain highway speed. So I take a gander at my gauges. Well, the engine temp and CEL are located on the cluster furthest away from the driver on the right, partially obstructed by the dash and completely out of line of sight, so you would never notice a problem unless you crank your neck like 60 degrees to check it (see red circled gauge below).


The temp gauge is off the scale. Big time. I pull over, pop the hood, and notice a melted fan shroud and the coolant boiling ferociously in the reservoir. No good. Bottom line: I toasted the motor and associated cooling components. Good Shit. That's a first, even for me.

No comments: