Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Team Work

Did the Oley Training race last night. Had my backpack on since I rode to work, then to the ride, then back home. Figured it added good training resistance. About 5 miles into the ride there was a small move about 100 meters up the road with Nick, Rasta, Big Jim, and a couple other guys, but it wasn't gaining any ground. So, I bridged up to it, told everybody to enjoy the draft afforded to them by the backpack, and got on the front and drilled it to open up a gap that wouldn't close.

The last five miles or so we started to up the pace up some of the rollers which shelled everyone but Nick, Rasta, and Big Jim. Coming into last couple miles we finally were able to shell Big Jim (he's pretty damn strong) and then Nick and I decided to work on a little team tactics.

I stayed back and let Nick drive us towards the line. He rotated with Rasta a bit, with me hanging off the back. Finally, before the last sweeping turn, Nick attacked which forced Rasta to chase. Once Rasta caught Nick, I countered hard on the inside of the turn and soloed the last mile for the win. Yea, its just a training race, but its cool to see tactics come together to win a race.

That's what training races are for - not just to get a hard ass work out, but to practice the skills and thought processes you need on race day that will culminate in a win.

No comments: