Saturday, May 02, 2009

Turkey Hill

So, the day started with a little pre-race crash in the parking lot. There was the film of oil and water just on the surface of the asphalt that made it slick as hell - I was slipping in my street shoes. Came around a turn and the front tire gave up the ghost.

I roll up to the line with some road rash and beat up kit and get the expected comments. Starting out batting a thousand here.

Race starts and stays together till 5 laps to go. This whole time I am on Stephan Kincaid's wheel like white on rice. I have a tendency of blowing my wad early and being overly aggressive chasing shit down, so I figured it would be the best learning experience I could get to just see what he does. As a former winner of the race and one of the most experienced dudes in the peleton, plus someone I highly respect, I felt comfortable knowing I could learn from his knowledge.

I was so much so on his wheel that I got some comments. Skip (George) on Alliance said, "Hey Stephan, scratch your ass. I want to see if this guy on your wheel will scratch his too!" I'll come back to that in a moment.

So, a break got established, I believe, with 5 to go and gained a 1:15 on the field. Still, I sat in. On the last lap just out of the feed zone, Miller attacks through the rollers. Geronimo gets to the front, pulls through, pulls off and looks around and put his hand up in the air. At that exact moment, it got real slow, so I decided it was time to go and get up to Miller, who was in No Man's Land.

I made it up to Miller along with some other guy just before the gambler wall. We worked and caught the break on the finish stretch about a mile from the line on the last rise. The break had two Harley guys including Dewald, a couple Kelly Benefit Guys, a Hershey dude and some others. I think it was about 12 guys once we got there.

Tried to find the right wheels in the sprint, opened her up, and came in a solid 3rd!

I'll take that.

After the race, I went up to Skip and said, "That is why when Stephan scratches his ass, I scratch my ass."

The 1st and 2nd place names escape me now, but winner was a Kelly Benefit Pro, and the 2nd place was a Latitude guy.

4 comments:

ridin at 4:20 said...

Awesome job today. I think Bill needs to give you a raise.

Erik said...

niiice dude. I see the california training is paying some dividends

steevo said...

I did hear somebody ask if you accidentally followed geronimo home afterward.

Matt Spohn said...

Was that whose house that was?