Thursday, November 06, 2008

Keep it dark

Another ride in the dark last night. Looking froward to another one tonight. I love riding at night. Hopefully sometime soon I'll have to slap my fenders on. Did I mention I like adverse conditions?

I was going to meet up with YAMBA, the local mountain bike club, for a night right on the trails tonight, but these antibiotics have my muscles all tight and I don't want to snap an achilles. And since mountain biking is basically just a serious of massive power intervals, especially here where the landscape is dominated by short steep peaks, I'll stick to easy cruising on the road for a bit.

So sick and tired of having all sorts of training interrupted regularly about every 2-3 weeks by illness, work, or my legs just plain taking a crap because they suck now. What a bunch of shit.

Check out this video I got from DrunkCyclist. Maybe if I don't get my arteries fixed I'll turn to this...

4 comments:

the guy who was banging your girlfriend while you were at my mom's said...

What antibiotic are you taking? If you are serious about having muscle or tendon pain, talk to your doctor. I know I sound like one of those commercials but I sell an antibiotic that contains that side effect and if you are serious about the pain, DO NOT treat it lightly...

Matt Spohn said...

Thanks for the heads up. I am pretty well versed in all this stuff, I've dealt with it for years, and I read medical journals for fun.

I know the Fluoroquinolone Class drugs are particularly notorious for tightening up the Achilles. The ENT wanted to put me on Levaquin and I said hell to the no. I am on Clarithromycin, so I think its not as likely, but still - it scares the shit out of me, so I have only been riding an hour on the fixie super super easy. Barely putting effort in, just keeping the legs loose.

The medicine doesn't make me feel sick like it does a lot of people I know, but when I take my dose with dinner after I ride, I think it metabolizes very quickly and it knocks me out a good bit.

You a rep? Lou tell you about the epic cross ride?

the guy who was banging your girlfriend while you were at my mom's said...

Yeah, I actually sell Levaquin. The tendon issue is primarily just with the quinolones. Clarithromycin doesn't have any issues there. The worst side effect of that drug is the dirty penny taste it leaves in your mouth but probably one of the safest you can be on.

Levo is a great drug for the right indications but as an athlete, I would tend to stay away from it unless you have pneumonia (in which case you are not going to be riding anytime soon anyway).

Lou told me about the cross ride and I'd love to do it, however, my wife could be giving birth anyday and I'm trying to stick close to home.

My in-laws actually live in York, so the wife and I will be spending a fair bit of time down that way after the baby is born. We should definitely try to get some rides going down your way this winter.

Matt Spohn said...

I was on Levaquin for a month once for enlarged prostate, which turned out to be a bullshit diagnoses, until a urologist saw I was on it and racing my bike and quickly pulled my ass of it.

Look me up anytime you are in town. It'd be great to have someone to ride with here. Cross, road, mountain, whatever - I'm up for any type of riding.