Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Let there be (lifesaving) Light!

Just finished my first night ride on my new DiNotte lights. Best. Purchase. Ever.



I purchased the 600L headlight and the 140L taillight. The rear light in particular is a lifesaver. It lays out so much light its crazy. Cars have never stayed further away from me, day or night. I keep it on steady mode as there is a lot of evidence that says that a blinking tail light attracts drivers and they get closer to you - the moth to a flame effect. And I believe it.



Cars were certainly erring on the side of getting dangerously close to oncoming traffic. Which is a change. I rode in a lot of traffic and not once felt uncomfortable.

The headlight is spectacular, too. The whole road lights up like I've got HID car headlights. The beam patter is near perfect, too. There is a nice concentration where you want it, but also a nice broad spread to catch all the peripheral shit.

I'll get some good pics up soon. These things rock.

3 comments:

ridin at 4:20 said...

If you don't mind training later at night(not sure your work schedule), big ass shopping centers are a great place to train.

The Target shopping center right off the campus of PSU Berks is where I used to train at night. You had all the lights, very minimal cars after 9:00 and a long straight away that went past all the stores, plus a few kick ass crit style turns through the backstretch.

It was cool shit.

Matt Spohn said...

I do a similar thing, too. There is a nice park less than a mile from my house that has a couple miles of paved path that winds through the park I can go hit up. The park is technically closed after sunset, but the park rangers I run into at night are cool and don't really give a shit. I guess I look like I know what I'm doing.

ridin at 4:20 said...

The last few weeks of my Tuesday night ride this year were pretty scary. I had a blinky on the back, but nothing on the front. I'd be coming home from a 4.5 hr ride around 9pm and riding through shear darkness. It was quite the rush, but I always thought I'd hit a dead groundhog or a branch and go down. I didn't so that's a good thing.