Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Crit Nats Report

Well, it could have gone better, but I can't be too mad.

I was sitting mid pack, then about 10 laps in the skies opened and it Monsooned on us. Realized the danger of that course when it was wet I floated my way through the pack to the front of the race and held top 10-15th the rest of the race. Every couple laps I would hear dudes hitting the deck in turn 7 behind me. A small break went later in the race with Mike Margarite from Empire (he got 3rd, so mad props to him!), which I am really perturbed that I didn't go after because my legs told me to and my brain for some reason figured it would come back.

Anyway, I was sitting pretty for the sprint, about 10th wheel when with 5 laps to go, my front tire decided it couldn't grip turn 7 anymore and I slide across the ground like Raggady Andy. I managed to get to the pit in time and got placed back in at the front, but as the adrenaline left my body and I got cold, I just couldn't put the power out in those final laps.

After the race I noticed a crack in my front carbon tubular I was racing on. I thought I had heard crack down in NC at the crossroads series one night when I attacked in the gutter, but had not found the crack till after Nats. Wonder if the cracked rim could have cause the rim to deform enough under cornering load to have contributed to me wiping out....?

Cool race. Awesome atmosphere. Anxiety producing course. Geronimo rode a great race and placed 7th.

Up on tap:
Chris Thater
Phillipsburg Crit
PA State RR Championships (in my backyard!)
Basking Ridge
UNIVEST!!

Plus maybe a Tuesday night Madison next week??

No comments: