Saturday, August 15, 2009

Downers Grove Day 1

Just got back from riding to the course and Trade Joes to get some groceries for the weekend. My hotel is about 4 miles from the course, the Marriott Downers Grove, so I'll be riding to the races each day. Stopped by the Trek of Downers Grove on the way back to pick up some stuff and put some air in my tires since I didn't have space to pack a pump! Good guys, they were very interested in helping me get ready for my races since they were surprised I flew out here by myself with no knowledge of the area. I told them an iPhone and common sense were all you need.

The flight was good, as any flight that touches down in one piece is a good flight. Pilot was definitely a Navy pilot as he hooked real hard looking to catch that cable as if on a carrier.

But, someone on the flight felt it was a good place to evacuate some noxious gases....THE ENTIRE FLIGHT! The flight attendants kept walking by the area of suspected offended with a pained look on their face while trying their best to discretely spray air freshener. At one point it got so bad I walked to the back. They asked me if I needed anything and I replied "fresh air." We all had a good laugh and I stayed back there for a while so they fed me all I could handle of wheat thins and peanuts.


Tonight is the Pro/Am race. Its just a race for money, not for the title. I'm doing it primarily to get a feel for the course so I am as prepared as possible for the real race tomorrow - US Elite Criterium Nationals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would have been THE MAN had the situation been:

At one point it got so bad I walked to the back. They asked me if I needed anything and I replied "how 'bout the three of us join the mile-high club right here on this beverage cart?"