Sunday, September 21, 2008

Charm City Cross 2/3/4 Men


The race was awesome. Nice technical course without much hills (both super strong points for me). 3 barrier sections. An awesomely long sand pit.


I registered late and they staged by race number, so I started in the very back of a field of at least 100 people. By the end of the 1st lap I had clawed my way all the way through them and was in no man's land between the 10 man group that got off the front (like yesterday) and everyone else. Somewhere around lap 2 a guy dropped off the initial selection of 10 and I marked him the rest of the race (4 more laps I think).

Problem. Every time I jumped back on my bike, my tubeless rear tire "burped" and let some air out. I really need to re-glue a set of tubulars. So by the last lap I was running like 15 psi. On one of of the of camber turns in the last lap, the tire rolled and send me to the deck. It stayed on, so I hopped right up ( I think I'm skilled at crashing and getting up again in a very smooth, "I tried that" manner). Upon landing on my saddle I noticed it was cocked about 60 degrees out of the proper orientation. So I grabbed it between my thighs and wrenched it back to almost straight.

I was caught by a chaser because of the wreck, but he tanked it in the last set of barriers, so I pulled out an 11th place. Not bad for starting 80+ back.

5 comments:

Smolko v 2.0 said...

Hey Sphoner...what kinda setup you runnin on the van dessel...is that a hole shot or gin n trombones??? Thoughts on it so far?

Matt Spohn said...

Gin and Trombones. I love it. The only thing I don't like is the profile of the top tube - it kinda digs into your shoulder when you shoulder carry it. But everything else has been great on it. I may pick up this year's frame because they went to a 1.5" lower headset race and they say the fork is so stiff now that it eliminates the chatter that you typically get with cross forks.

Anonymous said...

The Gin and Trombones is an awesome bike. Get it!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! If you win Granogue i will totally rub your belly instead of your back (that picture is WAY creepier than it should be)! Was i a total zombie at t-town yesterday? I cannot remember anything but the cracker barrel afterwards and that i made enough money for inside-ride rollers.

Matt Spohn said...

Dude, it is creepy, which is why its up there. I was a total zombie at the swap, too. It just has that effect, cause you take in so much that your brain turns off.