Friday, September 19, 2008

Prostate Cancer Awareness Bike Products

So I was thinking. There are tons of companies, especially bicycle companies who make products and promote events that raise awareness and money for Breast Cancer treatment and research. I think this is wonderful. It also means you can get lots of cool stuff in a cool shade of pink -although I think once pink became a popular color, they decided, "Hey, since this bike is pink and pink is the breast cancer color, let's tie to Breast Cancer Awareness as a selling point!"

That's right- I do think (actually I know from working in the industry) that people wanted pink bike products first, then as an after thought it became a great fundraising idea. Regardless, it is a very good thing.

But what about other cancers? What about prostate cancer? Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in America. 1 man dies from prostate cancer every 19 minutes.

Is it because "breast" conjures up more pleasant images and feelings than "prostate?" I've seen bumper stickers that say "Feel your Boobies" in order to get you to self-screen. I have yet to see, "Feel your Prostate!"

What color would you designate the color of Prostate Cancer? Gangrenous Green? Honestly, that is the color that comes to my mind. Can't use Yellow. So, I propose Orange, specifically Hugger Orange, as the official color of Prostate Cancer Awareness.

All you industry folks get on it!

2 comments:

the guy who was banging your girlfriend while you were at my mom's said...

Here you go:

$ 3000.00 Prize list for pro 1-2-3 Clara Maass Medical Center LIFELINE CHALLENGE A Cycling Event to Fight Prostate Cancer
Presented by
Clara Maass Medical Center

Branch Brook Park Belleville/Newark, NJ

Sunday, September 21, 2008
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=6681

Matt Spohn said...

Yea I would like to go to that except the promoter is a true ass. But hopefully prostate cancer is getting all the money and not him.