Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Not enough time in the day

I miss college. I could go to class, study, take tests, take care of my bikes, and still ride 20 hours a week if I wanted.

Now that I am at a full-time job, there is just not enough time to get everything done. I've had trouble just getting my bike in order for this weekend. I have to replace the rear derailleur, clean the bike, and get a set of wheels ready to race since I can no longer use that tubeless set after the problems it caused me this past weekend. I also have to strip my road bike I used this season to return the frame and I had to install a new fork on my mountain bike.

I go to work at 8 and come home at 5 if I am lucky. Then I'd like to train for a couple hours and on a couple days also go to the gym or practice 'cross barriers. By the time I am done with all of this it is usually between 8-9, which only leaves me 1-2 hours at the most to get anything done. But then I have to factor in time to make dinner, take a shower, all that little stuff that adds up.

It doesn't help that I never sleep through the night either because my sinuses keep me from breathing or I have to piss 3-4 times- or I might be able to get up early and do stuff before work.

All you guys that have been working full time, have a family, and still race at a high level, let me know how the hell you do it. What am I missing?

6 comments:

eightplustwo said...

Time management is the key. First of all, if you're working a normal 40 hrs work week you can forget a 20 hr training week.

You're off/recovery days are your days to catch up on other work - bike work, hourse work, etc.

You'll eventually find a schedule that's a balance of all things necessary. It takes a while to find and constant adjusting, but you'll adapt.

Congrats on the upgrade.

Matt Spohn said...

Yea, I guess I'll figure it out. I just hate how there is less structure that I can plan because you never know when your gonna get overtime, etc.

I also have to learn how to cope with stress better I think.

Thanks for the advice and the congrats.

bikepennst8 said...

he said racing at a "high level" Matt... haha, jk man - congrats on your upgrade

ridin at 4:20 said...

Become a realtor.

Matt Spohn said...

Was that message approved by the Association of Realtors?

ridin at 4:20 said...

I hear they've closed. Their building went to foreclosure.