Friday, September 19, 2008

Effed up my Tubulars

Now, I have glued many a set of tubulars without incident. However, last night's gluing went horribly, horribly wrong.

The whole thing could have been a scene from a Griswald Family Bike Shop Adventure. The process started normally a few days ago when I stripped the old glue and began the layering process. Finally, 3 days of glue layering and setting later, I applied the 3rd and final coat to the rims and began to mount the tires.

As I got to the bottom of the rim to push on the final 6-7inches of tire, it became quite apparent that it wasn't going to happen. I tried so hard that got blisters on my thumbs. I had stretched the tires for 24 hours previous to the whole process, but for some reason, they were no longer stretched! I had to act fast cause glue was quickly setting up. In my haste, I began grabbing the rim the help leverage the tire on at which point my nitrile gloves had become glued to the rim. So I had to take them off. Problem was now my hands were covered in the glue and my fingers were stuck together.

If you know me, then you know a bout of profanity laden Tourrets spewed from my mouth for the next 5 minutes. I finally wrestled the tire on with my paws, but the result was such a catastrophe that it is un-fuckin'-rideable. As I drowned my sorrows with beer and spent the next half hour scraping glue and the first layer of skin from my hands, I realized the temperature in the basement was much colder at the time of mounting the tires than it was when I had initially stretched them. I'm guessing this was the problem.

Who knows. I quit.

No comments: